In church, I have taught about the Parable of the Ten Talents many times. Each time I have likened it unto the ‘talents’ that we have been gifted from God. Yet, in recent times I have realised that this is not what Jesus Christ is teaching his disciples.
I do not often take one verse out of context of others, but I ask that you will excuse me this time. Let me share with you two verses; 14 & 18 –
14. For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
18. But he that has been received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his Lord’s money.
(You can read the rest here-talents – Matthew 25:14-30)
The man had given unto his servants ‘goods’ and ‘money’ and he expected them to use them wisely and to bring back to him the profits they had made. He then not only gave those who had made him more ‘good’ and ‘money’ what he had originally had given, but all that the profits they had made too, and much more besides. But, he took everything away from the ‘unprofitable servant’ and gave the ‘one talent’ unto the one who had made the most, the man with 10 talents.
As the man in the parable gave his own goods and money to help his servants prosper, the Lord helps us to provide what we need every day. If we see everything we have as belonging to God it is easier to understand how important it is that we use wisdom in our dealings with money. God may not make us all millionaires, but he does want us all to prosper, but just as the servants had to work hard for their rewards, we need to be prepared to work hard too.
The month of January is all about ‘MONEY.‘ Love it or hate it, we cannot live without it and live in the modern world. This month, I am going to see what God has taught we about work, money and prosperity. Over the last few months I have been looking more closely at where my money is going and where it isn’t going, but it probably should be, this is the beginning of my Journey to becoming a ‘more profitable servant.’ Remember that everything that is temporal is spiritual as well.
To Do List
- Today is budget day. Every first day in the month, from now on, will be ‘Budget day’ – more about how to do that as the month progresses.
- Gather together all the number – the bills you have to pay in the month.
- You will also need wage receipts or proof of how much you were paid and when.
- Begin a spend-wise diary – more about this one too.