Tools for your Journey
- Eyes to see
- The ability to let go
- The ability to share your abundance
Day 14:Jesus Taught us to Clothe the Naked and You Can Help
For a number of years i have followed and adhered to the 333 Project, which is brain-child of Courtney Carver of Be More With Less.
Before my 333 Project days I went through a period of time of buying and wearing the plainest and simplest clothes possible. I had got to a point in my life where i saw clothes as ‘something to cover my nakedness with’ or ‘to keep me warm.’ I did not feel i deserved anything more. In a way the 333 Project changed my thinking and my life, by helping me to see that it was alright for me to own more than the basics in clothing, which at this time were jogging pants and tee-shirts or sweatshirts and that was it. I think, if i remember correctly that when i began the Project i owned 18 items of clothing including shoes and outerwear. I did not need to sort through my ‘abundance’ but i needed to add things that i needed and in time i did.
I now own 30-40 items, including outerwear and shoes and I feel overwhelmed when i own too much. That does not mean that I don’t like nice things, I do. I no longer see myself as undeserving. However, I try to keep within a certain amount of clothing, giving the excess away regularly. This last year I bought a new coat, an all-year-round-if-i-need-to-wear-a-coat, type of coat and i donated all my others to charity – i think there were 5 of them and i haven’t missed them either and neither will you.
If the amount of clothing you have is far more than you need, a good place to begin may be the 333 Project – click on the link above and follow the links. If you are planning on donating your extras to a charity shop, make sure they clean, ironed and ready for re-sale and in good-order.
“38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”
To Do List
- If you are not familiar with the 333 Project, have a look at it, it may or may not be for you, but you won’t know until you look.
- Remove everything from your wardrobe and drawers and make sure that as many of your clothes are clean (laundered) as possible.
- Remove everything that doesn’t fit.
- (From the rest) Create two piles, one labelled ‘love it, want it’ and the other ‘don’t know, not sure.’
- Put the ‘love it’ pile away.
- Some of the things in the ‘don’t know, not sure’ will be things you will need to keep until you can replace them, so put them away too, but plan to replace them as soon as possible.
- Select 3 things out of the ‘don’t know’ pile, to keep and get rid of the rest.
- Buy something new, can i suggest a dress if you are a lady and good shirt if you are a man, but only if you ‘love it.’
- Make a commitment to yourself that you will only buy ‘Quality’ (even if it is in the sale) and not ‘Quantity’ in future.
- Donate everything that doesn’t fit you and everything left in the ‘don’t know’ pile to a charity of your choice.